Pages

Saturday 3 October 2020

Oktoberfest

So, whilst it was never high on my wish list, I have finally made it to my first Oktoberfest. Ironic really as I went there in late September and not October.


It wasn't as I expected, but I don't want to base my portrayal on the Chevy Chase National Lampoon's ‘European Vacation’ and I’m glad I didn't. I try not to over-research as that leads to disappointment. Instead, I wanted to just arrive and be part of the atmosphere and that's exactly what happened.

What I found is Oktoberfest is held at a large showground, we started off with a beer at one of the outside bars, it was very nice. We found a Paulander bar fabricated from pine and that was nice for a couple of casual drinks.

I wasn't interested in any of the rides, certainly not recommended after drinking beer by any means. There was food, boy was that expensive but we ended up getting a bite after all. We hadn't especially headed to Munich for Oktoberfest, we happened to be passing through the area so decided to stop off since we were there anyway.

We arrived at the showground late in the afternoon, we weren't staying in Munich per se, that was way too expensive at this time of year. So we took a train in from an outlying area after catching the train in from Augsburg.

So we wandered into a couple of beer halls, by this time of the day getting a seat was near impossible. The beer halls were full and festivities were well under way, there was music playing, people singing along with plenty of pushing and shoving.

All of the major breweries had their own pop-up beer hall, so you could choose the beer of your choice. I decided to take a couple of drinks outside at Lowenbrou, can't say it is my favourite beer but as it turned from day to night, better to be somewhere.

So around midnight it was time to head back to the Munich hauptbahnhoff and squeeze into a carriage for the 60 minute ride back to our accommodation. The train ride was fun to a degree, no seats but pressed into the aisles with a bunch of very merry people was a laugh.

To be honest, I didn't drink all that much over the course of the afternoon. Since I was down in southern Germany at the right time of year warranted popping in for a look. I was happy to soak up some of the atmosphere for an afternoon before heading onto the next place.

No comments:

Post a Comment