Pages

Saturday 17 October 2020

My Acer Aspire E11

I purchased a new Hewlett-Packard notebook computer when I started my MBA, my older notebook was getting a little tired and slow and I needed it to work optimally as I was using plenty of online resources.


The HP turned out to be a pile of rubbish that had compatibility issues with all software uploaded. One such program was VitalSource Bookshop, all our text were online resources so I really needed this to work.

So I had to go out and purchase another notebook to run the VitalSource software and I chose a mini laptop for this task alone. At first I was very happy with my Acer E11, sure the Celeron processor was slow but I had time, or so I thought and the battery life was superb.

I did a fair amount of study whilst on holidays, the mini-laptop was invaluable on those trips. My backpack was loaded up with textbooks and required readings so the lightweight notebook was invaluable.

Programs took ages to load, the computer froze pretty much all the time and the cursor jammed up frequently. I did look up the Acer website and found the F7 button functionality, that improved it a little bit, I now no longer had to wait for my computer to unfreeze.

The WiFi connectivity is the main flaw, the connection drops out frequently, not intermittently and I can have my tablet sitting alongside my Acer notebook that hasn't dropped out once.

Am I complaining? I hope I don't come across that way. My Acer Aspire E11 served its purpose, it ran my VitalSource books during my course, something my specifically purchased HP couldn't do.

It is lightweight and highly portable and the battery life was astonishing, I could charge the battery in my hotel room and spend hours studying and writing up case studies and assignments in a cafe without searching for a power outlet to recharge the battery.

Now the battery life of this notebook is cooked, it first started shutting down at 15% remaining, jumping to around 20% before quickly jumping to 50% of remaining battery life. I had four years of use out of the laptop computer and whilst I can still use it connected to power.

It's portability due to its lightweight nature is still great, it's functionality and computing power remains annoyingly slow, its diminished battery life will see it replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment