Pages

Saturday 31 October 2020

An awful downhill run

So I came off my bike at high speed on a downhill run. I was going flat out, I couldn't go any faster and it is fair to say, I snapped the bone my arm right at the joint.


My arm fractured right at the ball on my shoulder, very high on the bone and my arm and was just hanging off. I would like to tell you it didn't hurt, I shook it off and jumped back on my bike and started pedaling again but there was no chance of this.

This was a long trip, fortunately, we had a full support team following us and they helped me up as there were people all around. I would like to thank the people who helped me, to be honest, I cannot remember it all that well, I was pretty dazed.

Even the two-hour trip back at just over walking pace was pretty much a dream, the roads in the Democratic Republic of Congo in the rainy season have to be seen to be believed. The roads are filled with stacked logs to allow light vehicle access through, that made for an interesting return trip.

Needless to say, the bikes were making better progress than the light vehicles, we were faster than the motorised transport - hard to believe. So a two and a half hour trip at walking speed wasn't fun, then we were able to hit some decent roads and gather some speed, not exactly what I was hoping for but I have no complaints.

I was flown down to Johannesburg for surgery, this required a pin to be inserted in my arm and that immediately fixed the problem. After four days of a fractured arm, it was starting to wear thin, I was immediately wheeled into surgery after meeting with the surgeon, so I guess it was fairly well buggered.

I was still in his consultation room at the hospital waiting for the insurance claim to clear before the doctor returned in his scrubs and I was off to pre-op. It all happened pretty quick, I had not eaten since the evening before so I was ready to go, there would be no holding me back getting that arm repaired.

No comments:

Post a Comment