Pages

Saturday 10 October 2020

A ticket - let's see about that

I have long complained about the public transport system in Perth; that is how the bus links to the train network. So when I received a fine for fare evasion, this was going to be challenged.


Let me begin, I purchased the wrong ticket and I was in the wrong. My Smartrider, not all that much of a smart system was running low in funds. Why didn't I just make a payment through my bank you ask?

Well, I normally would make a payment but it takes working 3 days for the payment to show on my account and I must log onto the system within 5 days and log onto the train/bus network for the balance to register.

Now, I had planned to be away from the network and was unable to log-on in that period, even if the money was transferred, the funds would not be credited to my account. I have learnt this lesson previously and I was in stunned silence when it was explained to me.

Now, as my funds were running low I decided to purchase a manual ticket and I purchased a 1 zone ticket for $3.30, when I was pulled up at the guard informed me I needed 2 zones for my ride. On the trip home, I jumped on the ticket machine and priced a 2 zone ticket for $4.90.

So, we are dealing with a $1.60 shortfall in funds based on my mistake. I purchased a manual ticket but clearly didn't understand the fee structure and made a mistake. A $100 fine is fair for a person who routinely evades fares, but not for a person who makes a mistake purchasing a ticket so I will challenge this fine.

But even better, I will use this moment to change the way the Public Transport Authority runs services. See, the bus I normally catch is frequently late to arrive at the stop, this means that the bus arrives late at the train station and as the bus is scheduled to link to the train - I miss the train.

Now, as the train runs every 30 minutes at this time of night, this means I miss the train by normally 1 minute to 4 minutes. So, now another 30 minutes to wait plus the half hour trip home, this night is going downhill quickly so now is the time to do something about it - maybe this ticket is a positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment