Pages

Saturday 29 June 2019

Watch collecting - an expensive hobby

So watch collecting is becoming an expensive hobby, fortunately for me it remains within the bounds of my finances. I think for now though, it is time to not buy anything new unless an opportunity too good to pass up comes along.


As a watch enthusiast, I am still able to research and try on timepieces when I am out researching individual pieces. I don't do this much in Perth since competition and ranges are limited, also I prefer to research away from home where people don't know me and I can walk out of the shop anytime.

Naturally, not too many people get to collect  A. Lange & Söhne, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin or Audemars Piguet and I am one of those people. Still, I can admire robust engineering and magnificent styling without owning one.

I have found watch enthusiasts also tend to be car enthusiasts, motorsport and race timekeeping tend to merge together. This accounts for so many automotive series from the Speedmaster, Carrera, Monza, Silverstone and Daytona series.

Since I’m more into yachting, brands such as Rolex and Omega tend to support these activities although the Seamaster range is more aligned to diving these days. Is the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak a dive watch or a marine timepiece? So too with the Patek Philippe Nautilus.

Dive watches, where to start? The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, the Rolex Submariner and Omega Seamaster are leading brands but every manufacturer from Ulysse Nardin, Breitling, Tudor, Officine Panerai, TAG Heuer, Bremont, Mühle-Glashütte, Tissot, Oris and Jaeger-LeCoultre have dive watches.

Aviation is well supported with IWC, Breitling, Bremont, Bell and Ross and Omega. Rolex came out with a GMT for dual timezones for international travelers and business people, apparently after a specific request from Pam-Am. Cartier is credited with creating the first aviator timepiece with the Santos in 1904.

Then there is out and out style, A. Lange & Söhne, Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philippe, Breguet, Glashütte Original, Zenith, Cartier, Girard-Perregaux,  and Chopard are leading examples of how style meets functionality. Even the Rolex Cellini cracks a mention here; then there is Piaget, Mountblanc, Rado, Baume and Mercier, Jaeger-LeCoultre  and IWC.

You are not really supposed to be seen in a dinner suit in a chronograph, dive or aviator watch; that's where the low profile and elegant timepiece is desired. Your timepiece is supposed to sit under your shirt cuff.

I love researching timepieces, trying them on and writing about features, styling, functionality, value and finally wrist feel. I collect manufacturer catalogs from retail outlets, download specifications and read as many reviews as I can handle. Yeah, it's fun and yeah, it's expensive but who cares as you only live once.

No comments:

Post a Comment