Pages

Thursday 22 August 2013

Syria - chemical weapons claim

I arrived home early today, feeling a little tired after a day at work, my knee hurt and flopping down on my lounge chair turned the channel 7 news on my TV. Susannah Carr warned that the images are graphic - I was shocked.


Sitting in the comfort of my lounge room, I viewed images beamed from the other side of the world of people writhing in pain, rows of dead bodies, some wrapped in sheets, others not yet. These are people - human life now foaming at the mouth, vomiting and fighting to breathe.

UN inspectors are in Damascus, already checking for chemical weapons, it is alleged the Assad regime had used chemical weapons previously. I am lost, the world has not seen chemical weapons used since Saddam Hussein ordered the Halabja attack in 1988, this conflict in Syria has now escalated.

Journalists are banned from Syria, the images are shot by people using phone cameras, they have been denied by the Assad regime and yet to be verified because of this. That being said, the government has the means to deliver such weapons, an artillery barrage directed at the suburbs of Damascus held by the rebels. Maybe Assad has lost the ability to censor internal news now leaking to the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment