Pages

Sunday 4 August 2013

Dream Hill Condos - Sabang

As I sit on my balcony overlooking Sabang Bay at half past six in the afternoon, I notice the slightly increasing velocity of wind blowing cool air across from the highlands - a peaceful time.


The day had been cloudless and hot; I have no complaints, I had escaped the cold of Perth's winter to head to the tropics for two weeks of diving, eating and drinking and even despite a bout of food poisoning a couple of days earlier – I regret nothing.


The power had been out all afternoon; at this time while we patiently waited for the electricity to be restored, the gentle cooling effect had not been missed. Watching the grey clouds slowly drifting across the sky obscuring my sunset; I enjoyed the chirping of birds knowing as darkness beset Sabang, the gentle sounds of native birds would soon give way to karaoke bars and the three go-go bars down the hill.


Dogs barking, roosters crowing and shrieks of young children playing on the water's edge at low tide were soon to fade as darkness swept across the village and the nightlife kicked into full swing. This is my fourth trip to Sabang; I had enjoyed my time hanging out further up the hill and away from the hustle and hassle.

Sure, I need to venture down the hill to reach the dive centre on the waterfront; but I can traverse the back lane ways between the houses and only dodge dogs, cats and the odd labourer carting building supplies up the hill.

My last trip to Sabang was September 2012; on this occasion, I had ventured down the hill to experience the nightlife and I can't say I much enjoyed it. My first trip across to Sabang was in 1994 and in many respects; the place hasn't changed much, the quality of accommodation, surely, has as my initial experience had drop toilets in my very basic room.

I still recall about twenty children sitting outside a house on the fence watching TV through the window. Geez, back then, even a trip to shark cave would result in a mandatory sighting of seven or so whitetip reef sharks sitting on the bottom allowing the current to pass through their gills.

My reflection is suddenly disturbed by the sound of Alf cranking up the generator shattering the solitude of the occasion. While his premises is connected to the main power supply; the power to the village was out, brown-outs in this part of the world is still a common occurrence.

There is no point cranking the generator up in the afternoon, life is slow and sitting in a doorway reading my book was a relaxing way to spend the afternoon with a cooling wind having an effect on a thirty-five degree day.

After all, the morning was filled with two dives in a ripping current and a brisk walk up the hill, better to hit my university reference book and plan my case study. Strategic planning and management seems so far away now.

What I had failed to notice before, almost all of the lights of Sabang are out, only the larger establishments able to afford their own generators. Looking down on Sabang from my vantage point, I notice the lights have returned and immediately the generator rumbles to a stop. Only fifteen minutes of chugging under the load of the generator interrupted my evening – fantastic.

The smell of smoke wafts upwards; Alf is firing up the wood-fired oven for his latest venture, a Roman inspired spa complete with hot and cold rooms that is currently under construction. The oven will heat the marble massage table of the hot room; this evening's test run will go some way to fire the kiln bricks and roast the odd potato. Life is pretty uncomplicated out here, maybe I need to further contemplate my life – this evening seems like the perfect time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeff

    Always a pleasure having you here.
    Personally I do not miss modern electricity much.
    Surely it is good to have it cooling food and drinks in the ref....and sometimes the rooms as well.
    But I truly enjoy when we occasionally have a time without power, as so do most of guests as well.
    The pictures you posted say it all. Even more so at night when the stars are multiplied during brown outs.
    Surely in the new "Roman Dream spa" there is no need for electricity. The hot marble bed is warmed by fire from the clay oven under it. Our cool water from the well will do its work after that and a massage in candlelight is preferred in my opinion.
    I hope to see you soon again.
    alf

    ReplyDelete