Pages

Sunday 4 August 2013

Philippine Airlines now fly from Perth to Manila

I like diving, I like diving a lot so I was naturally excited when Philippine Airlines announced it would be flying to Perth via Darwin. The Philippines is one of the premium diving destinations of South East Asia with World War II wrecks, pristine reefs and walls spread over the 7107 islands of the Philippine archipelago.


On previous trips across to the islands, I had always flown Singapore Airlines due to their frequent schedules from Perth via Singapore. Their outstanding service and routes made them the airline of choice despite their expense, unreasonable frequent flyer program and arrogant corporate attitude.

Qantas also flys to Manila, normally my airline of choice; however, flights and routes didn't suit my personal scheduling. There was of course Air Asia; the budget airline but unfortunately only flying to Clark, the former US air force base at sin city - Angeles. There was no way I was intending on spending any time in the cesspit of Angeles City.

I have been a traveller to the Philippines since the mid 90s with the last five or six years earning me 15+ diving trips to the archipelago. During these trips, I have flown Philippine Airlines (PAL) frequently internally and although the airline had gained a reputation of PAL becoming the pseudonym of plane always late.

My first international trip showed PAL to be well organised and on time. The 8:50 am flight from Perth to Darwin was lightly booked; I and others like me had a whole row to ourselves, the route had only been running for less than a month; I hope patronage improves and the management persists with this route.

The stopover in Darwin was only an hour and we were required to disembark; just enough time for a browse through the duty free shop and pick up some premium Penfolds wines. From Darwin to Manila, more flyers boarded the aircraft and I picked up a partner for my row; we maintained a space between ourselves with the flight being comfortable in economy class.

My experiences with PAL on international flights appear to be as positive as with internal flights in the Philippines; the inflight staff was both courteous and professional representing the airline in a positive manner.

While the standard of inflight service can't compete with the Qantas, Emirates or even Singapore Airlines, however, the cost of the flight places PAL in the budget airline category whilst offering full service.

The same movie played between Darwin and Manila; not bad for me as I had work to complete but must be annoying for other patrons, there is only a centralised entertainment system – there are no other choices. The choice of menu was pretty limited; the wines were plain awful but flavoured coffee was passable. 

Owing to the number of patrons onboard; service was brisk for both segments of the flight. On arrival in Manila, we landed at the new terminal with a quick traverse through immigration, baggage claim and customs. This is contrary to my experiences at the older terminal and a positive for new arrivals to the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment