Pages

Monday 5 August 2013

Philippine Airlines systematic security breaches

I can't believe it, I checked my luggage into the counter at Philippine Airlines at Cebu airport for my flight to Manila where I was going to take an online university test before flying home the next day.


When I picked up my luggage at the baggage claim, I noticed the zips to the bag had been tampered with; a quick check indicated the bags had been rummaged through but I didn't notice anything missing at the time.


The flight had been delayed; PAL = plane always late on domestic flights like most carriers in the Philippines, it appears only flights originating at international airports leave on time. I was concentrating on my upcoming test that evening; annoyed with the delay and then further delays getting the baggage out of the plane.


Once I was in my hotel room; I missed the opportunity for my university online test due to Philippine Airlines delayed flight, fortunately technical problems with the program allowed me to take the test on Saturday morning.

It was then after I had completed my test that I noticed items missing from my luggage the following morning. While stolen items is annoying, the risk these actions pose to the safety of flight is more than a little concerning.

Luggage is screened upon entry into the terminal by airport security staff, once the luggage is checked in with the airline, the luggage is moved to a secure area by conveyor belts to be loaded onto the flight. For airline staff to be opening bags and removing items or adding items in a secure area poses a severe risk to the safety of the flight.

Criminal cells must be operating in a secure area for such actions to take place; under no circumstances should baggage handlers be working alone, the whole process must be recorded with CCTV. Both Cebu and Manila are international airports; the risk to international flights are also obvious.

Philippine Airlines operates flights to a number of international destinations including long haul flights to the United States; a country that after the horrendous Pentagon and World Trade Center terrorist attacks has absolutely no tolerance for lax security, the FAA, the Federal Aviation Administration would be more than interested to hear about such security breaches. 

Philippine Airlines flights in and out of Australia would also attract interest from CASA, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority that has been known to suspend international carriers for systematic safety breaches whilst operating flights in and out of Australia.

Canada also sets high standards for aviation with flights to Vancouver and Toronto. Flights to Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea, Thailand and China all fall under their respective aviation agencies as well as the middle east.

The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines will be immediately notified at the beginning of business; the failed attacks on aircraft originating in the Philippines including the Bojinka plot indicate terrorist activities where 11 flights originating from the Philippines were to be bombed mid air over the ocean. 

Philippine Airlines flight 434 had an explosive device detonated on route to Narita, Japan killing one person and causing damage to nearly cripple the aircraft resulting in rapid decompression and damage to aircraft control systems.

The smuggling of contraband throughout the Philippines through personal luggage is a distinct possibility with the contraband placed in the luggage of unsuspecting travelers at the originating airport and removed by baggage handlers at the terminating airport. 

This takes place after the baggage has been security screened. For luggage to be opened and items removed, it is unlikely to be a person acting alone as baggage handlers work in teams, raising the possibility of systematic breaches in security.

I attended a Philippine Airlines office in Makati to report the security breaches, while the staff looked a little concerned I had items stolen, not much was going to happen until I returned to the counter at Manila airport to once again report the incident. 

I explained the severity of the matter and the risks it poses to the safety of flights; I was then questioned regarding the locks on my bags and why it had taken me until the following morning to report the incident.

I explained that I had already read the conditions of carriage on the PAL website and no mention is made to locking luggage. Firstly, it is not their role to question my locks or my time taken to report the incident; I actually reported the incident within 30 minutes of becoming aware the items were actually missing, previously I only suspected my luggage had been tampered with.

Philippine Airlines should have immediately reacted initiating an investigation into their baggage handling practices in secure areas. Graft and corruption is rife in the Philippines and it appears Philippine Airlines management believes they can cover this particular incident up and it will just go away and it will be business as usual. This is too important to do nothing and allow these criminal practices to continue.

1 comment:

  1. i rode it two times always delayed flight too

    ReplyDelete