Pages

Wednesday 7 August 2013

An MBA online - what is the real value?

Should I be accepted into the MBA program at the University of New England, I have to ask myself, what is the value of an MBA that is delivered online? 


I haven't applied yet and I am still considering my options; the time involved and future return on investment still concerns me. Do employers value an online MBA in the same way as a face-to-face MBA? 

There are a number of weekend course supplements available throughout the trimester; living on the west coast of Australia; I would have to make sure such face-to-face classes are well targeted though.

Firstly, I have to perform well academically, I feel I have met that criteria in my undergraduate degree at the university and graduate certificates and diploma. 

Supervisory and management experience criteria have been met and now I have to convince the Graduate School of Business that the MBA will contribute to my career whilst outlining significant achievements to date - should be able to meet that criteria too. 

The advantage of being a mature age student is that you have had plenty of opportunities to prove yourself in the workplace; as such, you are deadly serious about lifelong learning and the opportunities it brings.

Online delivery is gaining credibility, Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs); whilst free at the moment are increasing in breadth and coverage and I envision being fee-for-service in the future, soon credits will be granted for completed studies. 

An online course still utilises a recognised textbook but also interactive means such as video, links to online lectures, discussion forums and immediate feedback from lecturers. 

As a college vocational education & training practitioner; I utilise the principles of andragogy on a daily basis, feeling comfortable in  Piaget's cognitive domain further building on the theory of constructivism and targeted student-centred learning.  

The real advantage of an online MBA is working the whole time; part-time and executive MBA programs have been around for a long time, technological advances combined with current learning theories are now proving more effective than purely classroom based lectures. 

The ability to study utilising technology is a massive advantage; however, the motivation and self-discipline required are very high. Analytical abilities to apply critical thinking and reasoning to solve complex managerial problems are practiced and learnt in online courses just as they are in face-to-face courses. 

The disadvantages though include alumni and networking opportunities but some classroom time is required. Now we just have to ensure that in the information age, employers take online courses seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment