Pages

Tuesday 10 September 2019

Transiting through Addis Ababa

I am unsure if this is the longest route possible, it was a stopover I could do without but I was still happy to be heading home.


I was boarding an Ethiopian Airlines 787 in Lubumbashi bound for Addis Ababa before changing flights for Singapore and then another Perth. This route has a four hour flying time so I have a couple of hours stopover time before the nine hour flight to Changi Airport.

I have been on site for nine weeks and was heading home for two weeks break. This passport saga had now cost me three days from my break. My return flight to site is based on my normal roster so this delay takes time away from time off site.

I was already overdue for my break as I am on an 8/2 roster and this is further eating into my break time. As I was sitting in the departure lounge, I was aware I was already supposed to be sitting at home so that fact wasn't lost on me.

I had organised family engagements, that was a non event but I have no complaints, this is all part of the lifestyle choices I made when I accepted this overseas contract. I'm tired, I was already feeling the effects of a long swing and I know this trip is going to wipe me out for a few days.

I was surprised when we touched down on the tarmac in Ethiopia, the airport was nothing as I imagined. They have two terminals the airport is way larger than I expected. I had just departed Lubumbashi International Airport and that was exactly what you would expect for an airport in a developing African nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment