Pages

Saturday 14 September 2019

Circus Animals - Cold Chisel

After the success of Cold Chisel's 1980 album East, their follow up album Circus Animals released in 1982. I would probably rate Circus Animals as my favourite Cold Chisel Album behind East as I feel the whole album is a little more polished that the raw and powerful East.


Cold Chisel, well known for the pub rock blues, I have heard the term boogie blues bandied around, but to be honest, I don't really know what that is. A google search informed me the boogie definition is a blues style played on the piano with a strong fast beat. That possibly makes sense as key songwriter and pianist/keyboards player Don Walker had plenty of influence on the sound of the band. 

As a young teenager knowing nothing of Cold Chisel, I purchased the single Forever Now at my local record shop for $1.99 and was amazed at the quality of the B-side Bow River. Later on I really related to the lyrics of Bow River describing the 12 hour days and "the money I saved won't buy my youth again."

My favourite song of the album was When the War is Over written by Steven Prestwich, described by John Farnham as the best pop song ever written when he covered the song at a concert. Forever Now was the song that got me interested in Cold Chisel, I already knew the most famous Cold Chisel song Khe Sanh, back then, I just didn't know it was them who sang it. 

The songs from the album:
  1. You Got Nothing I Want.
  2. Bow River.
  3. Forever Now.
  4. Taipan.
  5. Houndog.
  6. Wild Colonial Boy.
  7. No Good For You.
  8. Numbers Fall.
  9. When The War Is Over.
  10. Letter To Alan.

No comments:

Post a Comment