Pages

Tuesday 3 September 2019

A right wing unionist

How on earth did I become a union representative who holds capitalist views? I believe in a fair go for all, the strong should protect the weak. I believe in the value of advocacy, you need to look after your colleagues. 


Since I have worked in the state government, the only way you can negotiate salaries is via the union - there are no other options. The process is very hierarchical in nature, the management, who belong to their own union have their salaries negotiated on their behalf.

So, I become the union representative for the branch; I made sure individuals who are marginalised and powerless in the workplace are treated fairly. This actually wasn't that difficult, you listen to people, identify their issues then negotiate a response.

I studied business, nowhere does it state in any management literature I had read or referenced the need to belittle, humiliate or abuse individuals. In my studies we investigated strategies to develop a culture with the conditions to create value for the business leading to a sustainable competitive advantage.

I wholeheartedly subscribe to leadership virtues espousing values, culture and respect allowing the ability of individuals to work hard for the organisation. In order to achieve this, the value of human capital needs to unlocked allowing these hardworking, creative and innovative staff to contribute as valued team members.

No comments:

Post a Comment