Pages

Saturday 28 September 2019

Stacking my mountain bike

So, I stacked my mountain bike in the Democratic Republic of Congo and snapped the rotator ball from my right arm, there was no choice, I needed surgery.


My employer was willing to fly me home to Perth from South Africa, that wasn't a great option from my perspective so I declined. The public hospital system in South Africa is a little iffy according to all reports, the private sector is apparently world class.

So, with my company based private sector insurance, I headed off to a private hospital in Sandton and I can attest, it was a world class facility. After my initial examination, then waiting for the insurance claim, I was wheeled straight into surgery.

After the insurance claim cleared, the surgeon walked back into his office in his scrubs and it was on. They wheeled me into surgery within an hour of the claim and it was on, even better, I was given a private room as I came from the Congo and they were worried about everything from ebola and malaria to hepatitis.

So I came around and receiving a little lip from my nurses, I had a morphine drip and wasn't using it, they would come in the room, push the plunger repeatedly and then tell me all about it. That was ok,  I didn't need it but I appreciated their concern.

So recovery was interesting, I had to wait to be discharged from the hospital, that took way longer than I requested and I missed my return flight to the Congo. I was put up in a very nice hotel in Sandton, the hotel where the senior managers stay, that made recovery a little easier.

It is interesting when even the South Africans refer to the Congo as the jungle, I was enjoying my time even if mountain biking was no longer an option for the next few months. But hey, it got me a better hospital room and hotel room so no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment