Pages

Saturday 31 March 2018

Considering the Oris Aquis Date

There is nothing subtle about the Oris Aquis Date, this is a large chunk of watch and exactly what I am looking for; so for this purpose - I want overstated. I am somewhat of a watch collector and although I currently don't have a Patek Philippe, Audemares Picquet, a Vacheron Constantin or a Rolex in my collection - I am happy with my timepiece collection.


I don't have a watch with a display caseback showcasing the intricacies of the mechanical movement. The Aquis is fitted with the Sellita SW200-1 automatic movement. Oris has stated that they have never produced a quartz watch and never will - a bold statement. The 2016 is constructed with the chunky bracelet whilst the 2017 model is described as more elegant shaving the bracelet thickness significantly.

The bracelet connection to the case is somewhat unusual as compared to standard dive watches adding to the uniqueness of the Aquis. The weight of the timepiece doesn't match the bulk and I am left wondering about the grade of stainless steel used, still, it doesn't appear soft.

So I will more than likely add a Oris timepiece to the collection if I can secure a decent deal. Searching for the Oris on dive trips in the Philippines, I noticed that the Oris brand is significantly discounted as compared to Australian prices.

This is unusual as prices for both mid-range and high end timepieces such as Rolex, Omega, TAG Heuer, Breitling, Blancpain, Bruguet, Tudor, Tissot, IWC, Longines, Bremont and Patek Philippe being significantly higher in the Philippines.

I put this phenomenon down to the rich in the Philippines being readily willing to flaunt their wealth and willing to pay the going price whereas the average Australian prestige watch buyer is more price conscious.

This doesn't explain the discounting of the Oris range, they are a quality watchmaker so I'm guessing the range just doesn't sell in the Philippines with numerous distributors willing to immediately drop 30% of the retail price. With a 42 mm case and very heavy-set bracelet, possibility this watch is too big for the average Asian wrist.

This is somewhat contrary to my view, I was sitting at a restaurant and spotted an Oris on the wrist of a diner and he was local Filipino. I thought I might go for the large dive watch look, I have been a diver for 25+ years and had previously selected understated timepieces - time for a change. It won't be a desk diver, this will be spending time underwater throughout the upcoming summer.

If you push the distributor, they are willing to discount even further although sales staff must receive permission from the store manager to engage in further discounting. What I do see is authorised distributors in a dedicated Omega, a dedicated Longines, a dedicated Rolex or dedicated IWC store.

I am yet to see a dedicated Oris store in the Philippines so the general branded watch stores may be seeking to dump a line that sits in their showcases occupying space and tying up capital. It appears this timepiece is carried by more independent Philippine watch retailers with the larger retailers less interested in carrying Oris.

No comments:

Post a Comment