Pages

Thursday 29 March 2018

2010 Vasse Felix Cabernet Sauvignon

Knocking the top off a 2010 Vasse Felix cabernet sauvignon, I knew I was in for a good evening. The Vasse Felix cabernet sauvignon has legs, so a 2010 is an aged wine that has softened out somewhat and has plenty left, a further six to eight years is reasonable although the tasing notes listed up to 2021. Winemaker Virginia Willcock has certainly developed a reputation for quality, this an excellent example of Vasse Felix Margaret River winemaking.


As the opaque dark crimson wine flowed from the bottle into my glass, I viewed the dark red hue against my counter top, to my way of thinking, a good cab sav is dark but due to aging the hue is slightly brown at the edge. The bouquet exhibited complex aromas of blackcurrant, bay leaf and some hints of tobacco; the palette is described as medium bodied but I tend to think this 2010 is more full bodied.  

Looking at the tasting notes, the 2010 is 88% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Malbec, 1.5% Petit Verdot with just 0.5% Cabernet Franc to round out the blend. The 18 month maturation took place in French oak with 51% new barriques and the other 49% in a mix of one to four year old barriques. I tend to buy in bulk directly from the winemaker and have to check exactly how much of the 2010 I have left as I will take some down to the holiday house to share with the family at Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment