Pages

Saturday 11 March 2017

The TAG Heuer Kirium

I can't say I am a big fan of the Kirium, I was given one in non-working condition so I decided to take the timepiece down to the watchmaker to see if it was economical to get the watch working again.


I wanted to see how it goes as I wouldn't mind a bit of a retro watch to sometimes wear for different occasions. Initially launched in 1997, the Kirium was a subtle move away from the six features design principles.

TAG Heuer had promoted the six features design principles since the 1985 takeover of Heuer from the TAG group. The Formula 1 series was added in 2003 maintaining the motorsport heritage running until 2008.

The Kirium Formula 1 featured a dual analogue/digital face that lights up when the chronograph wasn't being used but maintained a three hand appearance during normal operation.

I knew none of this when I first took the watch in for repairs but I became suspicious when I was informed the mechanism was burnt out. I was a little concerned, I didn't want to replace the movement for it to only burn out again.

When I inquired as to why the movement was damaged, the watchmaker replied that the watch had more than probably been left in the sun so I relaxed a little. Ok, this isn't a standard burnt out quartz movement so I was no longer concerned.

A little research informed me this was an ETA movement so I guess this was probably sun and heat damage as ETA has an excellent reputation. ETA manufactures a pretty decent quartz movement, I have moved away from quartz movement to automatic movements now.

Replacing the 4000 series, the Kirium was a mid-range watch designed to take the place of an outdated style. Ironically, TAG Heuer was very successful re-releasing the Carrera and Monaco models in 1996 and 1997 respectively.

The style of the Kirium is liquid metal with the case, bracelet and bezel designed to look as if the watch is flowing into a single form. Ok, the design is a little dated, this is late 90s design but I am ok with that.

The bracelet is a simpler design than former models with inter-locking links; a vulcanised rubber strap was also available although I have never actually seen one. The watch is kind of smaller than I am used to with a 39 mm case.

I have read the bezel is uni-directional on the later models although I thought I owned one that doesn't have a rotating bezel. I was incorrect, once the watch was returned from the watchmaker the bezel was working again, it had just locked up with non-use. 

I'm still not a big fan of the Kirium, this is not a style of watch I would normally purchase. But since I have now invested in this watch, I will keep it to wear every now and again. I wear it every now and again, sometimes over a weekend or sometimes during my work week.

No comments:

Post a Comment