Pages

Sunday 29 January 2017

The Omega Chronostop

I asked my father for his old broken Omega watch as he had previously taken it in for repairs and was informed it wasn't worth the cost. A local Swiss watch repair shop had done some work for me before and came highly recommended and I was very happy with their service and prices.


I had mistakenly thought this was an old style Seamaster, the staff at All About Time informed me this was a vintage Chronostop and he described it as a real watch.


For me, this is a mechanical watch that needs to be wound daily as opposed to the battery powered quartz watches or the automatic self winding timepieces. The serial numbers aligned to a 1967 - 1969 series watch; the Chronostop was manufactured between the years of 1966 to 1974 so I have an early model.

There were a number of variations with the original model being the Omega Seamaster Pilot Chronostop, the second version the Omega Chronostop Regatta added yacht timers with the third variation named the Seamaster Chronostop Jumbo Diver.

A driving version was available to be worn on the inside of the wrist with the watch aligned with the wrist held vertical for quick glances whilst driving at speed. The later versions were introduced as the Speedmaster became unofficially named the moon watch in 1969.

Astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin wore versions to the lunar surface. Thus, with the Speedmaster driving version somewhat compromised, the Chronostop slotted into the driver's minds as the watch of choice.

The Chronostop has two movements, the 865 and 920, both are manual wind and the 920 movement has a date function with both movements featuring 17 jewels. The Chronostop has a single button to operate the stopwatch but there is no minute sub-dial so any stopwatch movements over a minute have to be counted manually.

As with most luxury brands, there is an entry-level model and the Chronostop was the third line to the Seamaster and Speedmaster. I'm looking forward to getting this vintage watch repaired and giving it back to the old man as he is retired and we all know retirees have to be more frugal with money than working sons. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that your purchase was not to your satisfaction. As a watch collector I am always on the lookout for a new/vintage timepiece but have never considered purchasing such an expensive item online. I would be horrified to hand over my hard earned cash only to receive misrepresented goods and thus, this is why I don't do it personally.

    ReplyDelete