Pages

Saturday 21 January 2017

An SSB or SBS?

I was at a bar in East Perth overlooking the waterfront development with the new sports stadium in the background on a warm summer afternoon after finishing work.


My friend who I was meeting wanted an SSB, that is a semillon sauvignon blanc blend and I mistakenly ordered an SBS, a sauvignon blanc semillon before quickly correcting myself to the barmaid ensuring I got her order right. The barmaid replied "they are both the same anyway" and I thought I had misheard what she had said.

The grape variety listed first is the predominant variety in this blended and highly popular wine, then you can be assured that this is the larger percentage and after a little searching I found that there is no real standard with some blends being as close as 55% - 45% right up to 70% - 30% blends. I enjoy a semillon as the variety is fairly dry as this is more to my preferred drinking style.

For many, a semillon is a little waxy as the variety has a reputation of being a little drab. A pure sauvignon blanc on the hand is a little too sickly for my tastes, but a splash of SB in a semillon can bring the drink to life offering a fuller taste for most palettes. I'm normally happy with an SSB on a warm summer's evening if I am unable to find a semillon I like as long as the semillon is the dominant variety.

I do ask myself, did the barmaid think I didn't know the difference or did she not know the difference? Regardless, a bar is an establishment serving alcohol and their staff should be conversant in what they serve to the public.

Plenty of us know the difference in what we want, many people have discerning tastes, my friend certainly has and we shouldn't be taken for fools. Then I thought, I was sitting at one of the best bars in Perth overlooking the waterfront development on a warm summer afternoon with a longtime friend - really, what's the problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment