Pages

Saturday 19 October 2019

The TAG Heuer Carrera

The Carrera was released by Jack Heuer back in 1963 espousing their motor racing heritage with the Carrera Panamerican motor race. The Heuer Carrera was the first chronograph timepiece designed specifically for professional racecar drivers.


In 1985 the Heuer watch company was in extreme financial distress; this was in no small part attributed to the quartz technology disrupting the industry. Heuer was duly purchased by the TAG Group, a company ironically involved in the motorsport industry.

Hence, TAG Heuer was born with not even the slightest whiff of arrogance bestowed by TAG Industries. Motorsport sponsorship is not the sole domain of TAG Heuer, the race track is the perfect marketing tool for timekeeping.

The Heuer Carrera was an iconic timepiece synonymous with motor racing with Jack Heuer one of the last direct family members aligned to such a heritage brand. I looked at purchasing a new Carrera but thought the face was somewhat cluttered in the latest models.

The skeletonised versions were even worse for my personal tastes. When I look back at the older versions, the basic shape and style confirm to me why this is such an iconic timepiece. The Carrera in its purest motorsport form is a chronograph, I do admit to really liking the three hand version.

Whilst I would love a vintage Heuer Carrera timepiece, I am wary of the current prices paid for older timepieces. The problem with vintage timepieces is wear to the movement, obtaining parts for older movements may be difficult and is certainly expensive.

Taking into account wear to the dial, hands and pushers, replacement of major components tends diminish the value of the timepiece. That being said, the classical style of the 1960s and 1970s Carrera is a pretty decent place to start.

At some point, one has to ask, would the funds be best spent on a new timepiece? I must admit, I am certainly interested in the shape, style and history of the Carrera and possibly missed my opportunity to become a Carrera owner on a number of opportunities.

I prefer the simple and classic styles and may add the Carrera to my collection in the future, until then I can admire the Carrera in its simplest and unadulterated splendor. I am out looking but as always, I have plenty of time to choose and the price has to be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment