Pages

Thursday 31 October 2019

Sunburnt in Europe

Geez, what was I thinking? It’s not like the concept is foreign to me, I have shaved my head since my early twenties. I pretty much carry a hat everywhere with me because I know what happens if I don't.


I’m from Australia, I know all about the effects if the sun, I am well aware of UV radiation. In Perth during the weather report at the end of the 6 o'clock news, they list the UV index warning us of potential adverse conditions.

So how did I get so sunburnt? Well, somehow because it was autumn in the northern hemisphere, I thought the sun wasn't as strong as i’m used to. Up to this point, this is true, however, I was out all day with my cap in my backpack, now that was stupid.

I hadn't washed my cap from previous days and the sweatband was covered in sweat from previous days causing some irritation. My thinking at the time was these UV rays are not so strong here so I can afford plenty of sun exposure here.

Wrong, when I returned to the hotel room I then knew I was burnt - the pain left no doubt in my mind. That evening was uncomfortable for sure but the next morning all pain was gone. Sure, I was still a little red still but I had dodged a bullet and gotten away with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment