Pages

Saturday 27 April 2019

I’m done

I'm done, after 13 years in a state government position, it is time to return to private enterprise. Even after nearly a decade and a third in the government I still don't think like a government worker and I hope I not viewed as a typical government worker.


I possess an entrepreneurial mindset and the slow mechanisms of government infuriate me, the opportunity to provide a taxpayer funded service is hindered by the bureaucratic infighting and empire building that plagues the sector. I have opportunities presenting in a recovering economy,

I don't want to run the risk of being viewed as institutionalised and unemployable in the private sector anymore. Yet, I know how to apply for positions in the government sector and I can always return should I want to see my career out in a government managerial position.

As an Advanced Skills Lecturer I had a pretty good position but it wasn't enough, there was no further opportunities for me, the white-anting, undermining and backstabbing that occurs in the government has to been seen to be believed. I'm getting out of a safe and stable job that is slowly suffocating me.

I have ten years left in the workforce before I can access my retirement benefits, I have a decade to set myself up and retire. Most people do not have the opportunity to officially retire at 60 as a self-funded retiree.

Instead, they have to keep working until they are 67 before they can draw a government pension that leaves most on or below the poverty line. I have a decade to ensure this isn't me.

No comments:

Post a Comment