Pages

Tuesday 19 February 2019

Turning 50 and loving it

Fifty isn't the new fourty, I have learned that although in my mind I believe I am cool and relevant. The only problem in this personal delusion being that I was never cool and relevant in the first place. I was already suspicious that this wasn't the case - I guess I can't even fool myself anymore.


You come to the realisation that your life is more than half over; well, that isn't the case if you are planning to live to one hundred I suppose. Since the average male life expectancy in Australia is eighty two then you have reached the halfway point of your life at 41; so based on these scratchy calculations I guess I am already on the downward slide.

Most days I wake up and my kidneys hurt, my right side more than my left. I went from having brilliant sight to wearing glasses to laser vision to still requiring glasses to read. It takes about thirty minutes for my eyes to focus in the morning; not so brilliant went I shave in front of the mirror and miss patches only to identify this on the drive to work. I really should carry an electric razor in the car to fix up all the mistakes.

I'm still running and certainly feel better upon returning. I really do feel better about myself after getting up and heading off in the morning, I hardly run in the evening now although I know I should. My pace isn't great and I guess my running style less so - still, I enjoy the opportunity to think as I run.

As  I walk down the stairs after getting up, my right foot aches with every step, my left knee clicks and I'm still moving gingerly as my perennially torn left hamstring tightens up. If I can convince myself that this isn't hurting and decide to head out for a run, I really enjoy it, this isn't a chore and then home for a short and sharp weights session.

That being said, I am really enjoying this time in my life. I have changed jobs, taken on a career change and with that new challenges. Despite some minor knee and foot issues, I am still pretty mobile and hit the gym, ride my bike and run (albeit slowly now) and I look forward to the next phase of my life because for me, life couldn't get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment