Pages

Saturday 1 September 2018

The 2018 Omega Diver 300

The Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show is the premium watch exhibition held in Basel Switzerland where the latest horological designs and upgrades to existing designs are on display. The new Omega Diver 300 will be available in boutiques in August 2018 - so I guess I won't be seeing one in the flesh for a while.


For the 25th anniversary of the Seamaster Diver 300, Omega has updated their entry-level diver model, this is also the 70th anniversary of the Seamaster range so an upgrade was always on the cards. Sized slightly larger than previous Diver 300s with the 41 mm case, a larger 42 mm case houses a the METAS certified master chronometer co-axial Calibre 8800 automatic movement updating the 2500D movement.

The standard blue three hand timepiece reference 212.30.41.20.03.001 or black reference 212.30.41.20.01.003 has been expanded with a grey dial added but I can't say I like the look of the grey dial.

What I loved about the previous model is the dark blue lacquered dial on the 212.30.41.20.03.001 reference or jet black 212.30.41.20.01.003 reference, my choice is the blue. I don't like the new laser etched wave dial, but that's just me, I never liked the wave dial on earlier models either although they were pretty popular among watch enthusiasts.

I will admit I do like the laser etched wave dial on the black version, that is good. The Omega logo on the previous model really pops as it a separate piece, the new version appears to be painted on the dial and lacks the depth of older models.

The Calibre 8800 is a great improvement, many argue the METAS certification is really an Omega internal certification and they have just renamed a series of tests but that's not entirely true. The METAS labs are open to any manufacturer wishing to gain extra certification.

One expects the brands within the Swatch Group to be the main certification volume, I can't really see competitors increasing costs by undertaking extra tests unless a solid marketing gain might be gained.

Plenty of people like the new model, I am certainly impressed by the mechanical specifications but can't get into the wave dial or the clunky helium escape valve. Despite my initial apprehension, I think the 2018 model will be popular with Omega customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment