Pages

Tuesday 18 September 2018

Jeepney rides - they just aren't fun

The jeepney is a third world mode of transport reminiscent of a bygone era. Whilst I hate them, I am also cheap so this is my selected mode of transport in the Philippines, especially in provincial areas.


One of my most common jeepney rides is when I head down to Anilao from Manila, this saves paying for a private car ride. Catching a coach style bus from Buendia station to Batangas Grand Terminal sets you back about 150 peso and takes approximately two hours.

On one trip, there was a video on board with a Manny Pacquiao v Miguel Cotto fight replay. The guy is, of course, a national hero so his triumphs are routinely telecast. Heading into the twelfth and final round, the program was changed to some American NBA rubbish depriving me of witnessing the third and final knockdown of the fight - I would have to say, that was my most frustrating ride.

Arriving in Grand Terminal, then it is time to board the jeepney, they jam every one on board and won't leave until they fill it. This could take over an hour jammed inside waiting with bags and dive equipment, a total waste of everyone's time, yet no one complains and they just accept it.

A crampy and bumpy ride ensures sucking in exhaust fumes as the outlet pipe isn't routed properly, this could take an hour leaving the passenger feeling sick - what a ride. However, what I like about the jeepney is their cheapness and being able to ride in a vehicle with common people, yeah, they don't complain and just get on with it - that's what I like about riding in a jeepney. 

No comments:

Post a Comment