Pages

Tuesday 17 July 2018

Whispering Jack - John Farnham

Johnny Farnham burst onto the scene as a pop/rock singer in the late 1960s with his popularity skyrocketing during that period, he was a household name in Australia.


When John first hit the airwaves in Australia I wasn't even born yet, then as I grew up in the 1970s we all knew who Johnny Farnham was although we tended to think he was washed up after his teen idle status morphed into more of a TV personality.

John made a comeback of sorts with a stint replacing Glen Shorrock from the Little River Band from the early to mid 1980s so you tended to think he was trading more on past frame than current form.

That all changed when Whispering Jack was released in 1986 with the album gaining notoriety when You're the Voice was released. We all knew who John Farnham was and once this single received radio airtime the album's success was guaranteed, You're the Voice is a brilliant song and remains popular to this day.

I was working away in a remote area as I was asked what's happening in Perth? My reply was Johnny Farnham had released an album and it looked like it was going to be big, little did I know how big this album was going to be.

Naturally, like everyone else I had a copy in vinyl. My favourite track was Reasons as I really identified with the lyrics, the tune was pretty special too. A Touch of Paradise was very popular gaining plenty of radio airtime as well as Pressure Down.

John's stalled career had been resurrected and his transformation was complete, he was once again a recording artist in his own right held in high respect by pretty much everyone.

We were all overjoyed, he had been trying hard for so long and his persistence had payed off, he is a good guy and his success was well deserved. Thirty two years after Whispering Jack was released, the singles from the album still get airplay.

They don't feel dated and despite his constant assurances that this is his last tour, John still performs live to adoring fans. Maybe I will finally get to attend one of his concerts, then I will be annoyed I didn't do it twenty years before.

No comments:

Post a Comment