Pages

Tuesday 10 July 2018

P!nk - Beautiful Trauma

I was fortunate enough to be able to pick up last minute tickets to P!nk's final Perth show at the Perth Arena on Saturday night. As I understand it, she had two scheduled shows in Perth on Tuesday and Wednesday but owing to sold out shows and plenty of demand, she put on a further two shows on Friday and Saturday night. She can't ever be accused on not giving what the fans want.


I can't say that I have ever bought one of her albums and I don't really know the names of her songs. I do know pretty much all her tunes as she has had plenty of radio time in Perth - they are, after all, very catchy. The show began at 7.30 pm with The Rubens playing as the support act, as I was in general admission due to my very late ticket purchase. 

That means I had to stand, a sore knee was going to give me some stress. I really couldn't see myself up and dancing so that was just going to be standing for me. There was also a DJ playing in-between but I just don't get it, a DJ plays other people's music and then he had all shortened versions of part verse and chorus - that I found annoying.

So P!nk, Ms Alecia Moore comes on at 9 pm, at this stage I'm thinking my leg already hurts. I've been standing in one place for an hour and a half with people pushing into me, bumping into me getting drinks and so on - I really wished I had a seat. What I do learn is the show is very energetic, there are dancers moving all over the place, a moving backdrop with the show starting with P!nk hanging from a chandelier singing. 

I was close enough to see her white teeth as she sang once she had been let off her harness, at one point the show became very intimate with a cello and double base. Throughout the show two of my favourite instruments were playing, the piano and violin with the performers jumping around as they played. There was the arbitrary electric guitar and drums supporting the modern pop sound that P!nk belts out.   

What I am witnessing is a performer at the top of her game, there was plenty of dance, aerobatics and good fun. What impressed me the most is her fitness, she is getting flung around on a harness, upside down and doesn't miss a beat. The show finishes with P!nk in a harness being moved around the whole arena so she sings directly to the people in the back rows. 

She is tumbling around, doing cartwheels as she moves and singing, at one point she looks like she is running through the air. You look up while she passes overhead whizzing past and she gets that close you think the sweat will drip off her. I had nearly forgotten about my sore leg at this point - this was a great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment