Pages

Tuesday 31 July 2018

Cold Chisel - East

Cold Chisel is not the most famous Australian band, actually, Cold Chisel isn't really known beyond the shores of Australia yet this remains the quintessential Australian band. Their third studio album East was released in mid 1980 and was the biggest selling album of the year.


Known as pub rock, Cold Chisel gained their reputation playing live at pubs and clubs with East breaking through to a wider audience without selling out their roots. Is this my favourite Cold Chisel album? It probably isn't, this is really a big discussion among friends as while we feel Circus Animals is a little more polished, East is raw and energetic.

Choir Girl was the first song released late 1979 with Cheap Wine released mid 1980 just before the album came out with My Baby released as the third single later in the year. My feeling is that Choir Girl was the most polished song on the album, the rest of the album was fast and furious based on the strength of their live performances.

The songs from the album:
  1. Standing on the Outside
  2. Never Before
  3. Choir Girl
  4. Rising Sun
  5. My Baby
  6. Tomorrow
  7. Cheap Wine
  8. Best Kept Lies
  9. Ita
  10. Star Hotel
  11. Four Walls
  12. My Turn to Cry

I still love listening to East, my nephew has an unusually strong interest in older music thinks this is a great album too. For me, this is great because it is not just the nostalgia of one of Australia's best live acts, East stands up.

No comments:

Post a Comment