Pages

Tuesday 17 October 2017

The Australian flu season

It is hard to believe a flu season exists, but that is exactly what it is the flu season? The flu vaccine is a common preventative measure in Australia with a vaccine formulated annually before the beginning of the flu season. Although for many, the flu vaccine didn't work this year eroding confidence in the vaccine, now I have to decide if I will trial the vaccine next flu season for at least some protection.


The H3N2 strain has hit harder this year than other years, the flu vaccine apparently mutated faster than anticipated rendering the vaccine useless for many people. For the first time in over a decade, possibly fifteen years I had a dose of the flu and it really sat me on my arse.

They say you quickly work out the difference between a cold and the flu, I certainly had a decent case of influenza. Even worse, I caught mine just before I went on two weeks leave overseas and it really destroyed my holiday, I had a couple of days struggling to get out of bed, I couldn't dive and going out to dinner and drinks was pretty much off the cards. I can't complain though, plenty of people died this year and I just had a slight inconvenience.

Yes, I have had colds in that period but I quickly increase my echinacea dosage and burn it off in a day or two. So what happened? I reduced my vitamin C dosage after suffering kidney issues from what we think was an over indulgence in the vitamin.

My resistance was lowered and I was exposed to a colleague coughing profusely in the workplace without covering up. He refused to take any time off saving his sick days instead wiping out over half the office so the lost time was excessive costing the business unit excessive sick leave payments. Like most other employers, every year we lose staff to sickness during the flu season, all thanks to one selfish person.

No comments:

Post a Comment