Pages

Thursday 26 October 2017

Hong Kong imported produce

I had read that fresh produce was both difficult to obtain and expensive to purchase in Hong Kong. It is well known that the cost of living is very expensive in Hong Kong and imported food in the form of fruit is highly prized.


So when I was in Hong Kong, I set about to see if this in fact true so when the opportunity to wander around a typical Hong Kong market arose - I was pretty enthusiastic. What I saw was somewhat different from what I had read in magazine articles. The author stated single strawberries were sold on wrapped pummels for extridinory prices, my investigations indicated otherwise.

I viewed pummels of strawberries similar to what I purchase in Perth. Likewise, Royal Gala apples were loosely sold and stacked on displays So I'm more than a little suspicions of this reporting. Yes, the cost of housing has skyrocketed in Hong Kong, yes the cost of living is high but I found no evidence to support the notion that fresh fruit and vegetables are so expensive in Hong Kong that they need to be sold in single units.

No comments:

Post a Comment