Pages

Saturday 13 March 2021

Personal abuse in a toxic work environment

I worked in a toxic environment, or I did anyway and I was so happy to leave. This was a workplace filled with angry nasty people who displayed a jealousy of anyone who was even remotely successful.


Needless to say, I had and continue to have little respect for these fools, they thought they could all gang up and bully me, they found out that whilst this tactic worked on the majority of people that didn't fit into their little toxic circle. This brought them more stress than they ever imagined - they lost big time.

I would like to say this never affected me but that would be incorrect. However, what I can say is I made sure I served up three to four times the stress I received - returned with interest. I was one of the few who took a pay cut for this job; the vast majority received a large pay rise as they had never received before remuneration like this previously.

They have no options, they are well aware they will never get a job like this again, it is fair to say they are holding for dear life and never letting go. Unlike them, I have options, I took a pay cut for this job and I know I can perform in the private sector. Even worse for them, I was paid at a much higher than they were - this really annoyed them

A large number of these guys have spent their whole working life in government employment, they complain how little a pension they receive after twenty years in the military. There was nothing to stop them gaining suitable qualifications and training to become an officer - their lack of ambition cost them.

Apart from this organisation dominated by former military personnel and church officials, there is no chance of improving the culture without leadership. They are institutionalised, they can't cut it in the private sector where both output and accountability are measured.

We are all heavy duty diesel mechanics by trade, but I know I will never return to swinging spanners again as a mechanic. Mine is a leadership position, I am a technical advisor on an international contract paid in US dollars with a net income in USD higher than their gross AUD income.

Oh yeah, I made sure they know all about that as I was always paid significantly better than them when we worked together, so this step up in pay would really sting - ouch. That's how professional jealousy works.

No comments:

Post a Comment