Pages

Thursday 18 March 2021

Calculating my MBA return on investment

Calculating a return on investment for an MBA isn't as straightforward as some people might think, my case is a little more difficult. Most potential candidates need to calculate time lost from work, course fees and potential opportunity lost.


In my case, this calculation is made all the more difficult as I used the increased salary awarded from my job promotion in 2011 and a further promotion in 2012 to fund my tertiary education. A ROI for me only makes sense after securing a higher paid position as a result of the education.

To further complicate the calculations and the potential ROI; I first completed an undergraduate bachelor degree in Training and Development so the salary increase from 2011 funded so that cannot be counted in the ROI calculations.

When I started makin my initial calculations I had twelve years to retirement age; so I also need to calculate the cost of the funds invested where a capital gain (or loss) is achieved plus a annual dividend.

So now I'm down to ten years to retirement age, but now I have secured a new position on a international project. The first year of MBA graduation resulted in no return on my investment.

My opportunities within a state government institution were halted by whistleblower allegations unsupported by any metrics whatsoever. However, unlike my former colleagues, I am able to move freely from a government position back to private enterprise - I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment