Pages

Saturday 16 January 2021

Typical HR failures - totally useless

I don't hold a lot of respect for HR, this latest debacle hasn't changed my view, this has just reinforced my concerns that HR are worthless bunch of lazy idiots who only create problems for the organisation.


Based on their LinkedIn announcement, a company had just won a large contract in Southern Africa, the largest project the company had ever won. I was performing a similar role in a central African nation so I sent HR an email detailing my work, I included my job description and examples of what I was producing.

I got to the interview stage but I saw they were not prepared, I was back in Australia and they hadn't yet developed a job description. The interview was interesting, I didn't say a work for the first 15 minutes as they spoke among themselves.

Not wanting to interrupt, I kept trying to get a word in until I finally interrupted and changed the subject to get the interview on track. I needed to speak, was this a tactic? I didn't think so, instead I just listened looking for my point to break in to their casual chatter.

However, the questions they asked indicated they hadn't prepared and walked into the interview without the necessary facts. So this tells me they a) didn't read my application, or b) comprehend my application, or c) their minds are closed and so blinkered in their preconceived view that they miss the obvious.

When you are involved in an interview lacking structure and preparation, this then throws out the prior preparation that you performed. I have even been in interviews where they have read my resume in front of me whilst I have been sitting there in silence.

On this occasion, they did have a few questions prepared and I understand the basis of a behavioural interview where past behaviours tend to predict future responses. So at least they had done some preparation.

Not so much though as I directed my answers to the material I had previously prepared and sent through to them, it was clear they hadn't bothered to read this at all - very poor and unprofessional.

So I asked the next stage, they told me I required a further interview, this was going to be a telephone interview with a guy Brian, as I would be back in Africa. Ok, not great but I have done those before and I know how to prepare for a telephone interview.

They said after that they will then send the contract to me in Africa to sign, this appeared a formality now. They had asked me if I had enough work to keep me employed until the project starts, I told them this wasn't the case I wasn't far from being demobilised from the project that currently employed me.

I returned to Australia a per the demobilisation plan, I emailed them for no reply  with a whole host of unanswered phone calls. When I finally got hold her she was very hesitant, it was also difficult to hear her as the line wasn't good and I had to keep repeating what I thought I had heard - that's uncomfortable.

So from this discussion I find out the person signing off wasn't doing that, the explanation was their preconceptions and lack of research. I said to her after her explanation that what I actually do was contained in my material previously sent. So much for professional courtesy, just ignore the issue and hope it goes away.

Every word she muttered was wrong, but that wasn't her doing, this decision was made by a person I hadn't even spoken to or made any contact with. What's the use arguing, they have made their mind up so I just hung up - there was nothing else to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment