Pages

Thursday 23 January 2020

The Casio F-91W

I had one, it was some time ago and if I recall correctly, it was purchased at a service station, probably on the way to the airport as I didn’t want to take my good watch on an underground project where I was contracted.


I never used to wear it on my wrist, I had broken the strap and carried it in my top pocket, the Casio F-91W is a simple digital watch with few features. This was a cheap plastic wristwatch that sold well allowing Casio to build a reputation for well priced technology.

Maybe not the precursor to the G-Shock, the F-91W is a low cost timepiece that allowed branding at the entry level. Now seen as a classic, many watch collectors are seen wearing the F-91W as an anti-snobbery accessory. I really can't believe these are collectible now.

Whilst I won't be following their lead with the P-91W, I do look for lower cost options to add to my collection. I do like the dual digital/analogue aerospace timepieces and may look there for inspiration or field watches.

No comments:

Post a Comment