Pages

Tuesday 8 March 2016

The Dunlop Volley tennis shoe

I couldn't believe they were still for sale in department stores; the 70s classic tennis shoe, the Dunlop Volley is still for sale in Australia and seems to be making somewhat of a fashion comeback.


I actually love this canvas and rubber soled shoe; not for tennis though, I wear them sailing. As a cheap boat shoe that gets knocked around, exposed to the Western Australia sun during summer and immered in salt water week in and week out, you just can't beat them.

Some members of the crew are getting around in $250 boat shoes to get grip on the deck, mine usually cost $10, but my last pair was $7 and on sale they can be picked up for $5.

When they start to smell after a race, I hose they off with fresh water and leave them in the back yard ready for duty next weekend. The flat rubber soles offer excellent grip on a wet and slippery deck, you have no fear getting them wet or knocking them around and they are not only robust, they are so easily replaceable and always see the season out.

Ok, so you are making an anti-fashion statement showing up at the yacht club in time-warped 70s fashion. I prefer to view myself as anti-establishment; the epitome of retro-chic, but at that price, I won't be replacing them anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment