Pages

Tuesday 19 May 2015

Hanging with a Titan trigerfish

I happened to momentarily glance up as I hovered over the reef concentrating intently on a small lifeform to see this large Titan trigerfish just before the moment of impact. Moving faster than a Manny Pacquiao left hook; about 4 inches from impact, I threw a short right hand defensive hook and feigned my head to the left with a lightning fast reaction that would have impressed Floyd Mayweather. 


This was not as an elegant defensive move on my behalf as I had imagined; however, it had the desired effect as I stared at those large powerful jaws, I thought this fish was going to do some damage. I have viewed those powerful jaws crunch down on the reef at close range; I visualised those large teeth crunching through my mask and into my face causing extensive damage or maybe biting my ear off if I was silly enough to turn my head.

As the trigerfish withdrew for another charge; with dive knife drawn, I was then able to assume the more orthodox trigerfish dueling stance of fending off with my fin. I have been involved in numerous trigerfish duels and witnessed many others, so I knew what to do. My underwater guide thought this fight was hilarious and offered no assistance, this was a solo fight and strategic retreat; in other words, I tried to flee the scene whilst defending myself - I wasn't enjoying this one bit. I couldn't just swim off, they don't just let you do that, that is just an opening to bite you.

The next day I spotted a Titan trigerfish busy chomping on a coral head, I quickly turned and left her territory feeling more than a little cowardice before I was spotted; I wasn't in the mood to engage the enemy unless absolutely necessary. This dive trip saw another three trigerfish duels with two on a single dive, I am glad to say, none was as exciting as my first Titan trigerfish duel for 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment