Pages

Thursday 26 March 2015

Social media extinction

CNBC asks the question, what social media network will be around in 25 years? This isn't an exhaustive list by any amount of the imagination, but it begs the question - will any survive?


Facebook is the widest known social media platform, people are jaded with FB though, as Zuckerburg owns Instagram, I guess it is pretty popular and may remain so.

Google will still be be around, so YouTube will survive but I am not so sure about G+ unless it suddenly becomes cool or Google Inc sinks a ton of money and effort into the network. That's a shame as I like G+ as a network.

I am less than upbeat about Snapchat and sharing crude selfies may actually fall out of fashion crippling the media platform. Then again, venture capitalists are lining up for the company with reports of Yahoo throwing plenty of cash their way.

I positive about Twitter, downbeat on Tumblr despite the fact Yahoo owns the platform and my sister telling me how cool the network actually is. I know little about Reddit and think Pintrest will maintain its market share unless, of course, competitors create extreme competition.

That leaves LinkedIn, that is the leading professional network but needs to gain market penetration to really become effective without becoming a second rate chatter social network.

No comments:

Post a Comment