Pages

Saturday 7 March 2015

Diving Menjangan Island

It's been so long since I dived Menjangan Island on Bali's north west shore, I had actually forgotten the dive sites. I do remember parts of it, ripping currents, the washing machine effect where two currents met and a dive guide not up to the job. You start by chartering a boat from Pemuteran, the skipper takes you to the site of your choice, after that, they leave the rest to you.


Hopefully this time will be different I thought, I was looking forward to a few dives in one of Bali's premium sites, needless to say, I wasn't likely to be disappointed.


With good friends, we charted a boat and headed off to the east side of the island. Due to equipment issues and needed to share regulators; we dived in two shifts, as we were diving second we had some time to relax and enjoy the views. Throwing my scuba unit in the water, it was to easy gear up below the surface with no current and then dropping over the wall. For me, no need for a wetsuit, the water is wonderful even at depth, the others preferred neoprene though.


We dived a vastly different location from my last outing, not between Bali and Menjangan as faintly I recall from before. Why did the divemaster make sure a basic mistake last time even after we pointed out to him the severity of the conditions? This time, we were on a wall that dropped off nicely into depth from a very shallow top, I'm guessing our previous divemaster had little experience here just diving Tulumben on a daily basis. Our choice of location may have had something to do with having the author of the latest edition of the Bali diving and snorkeling guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment