Pages

Saturday 28 November 2020

Heading up to the waterfall

I had just returned from my offshore rotation, I had done ten weeks straight and had a couple of weeks back at home - I really needed it.


I really enjoyed this job, you need your breaks too, time to recharge before returning, it was a good break, a short trip to Singapore and a trip down the holiday house. I had some work commitments to perform, some short meetings and then prepare to return to site.

I returned to site and was straight back at work, I had meetings to attend as the area was not running well. There was the flight from Perth to Johannesburg, step off the flight, board the company charter jet and get in to work.

I was jet lagged, I did the Saturday shift, fixed my bike up and then headed off at 6 am Sunday morning. It was going to be a 96 km bike ride to the waterfall return trip, this was through tracks and some roads.

Needless to say, the trip to the waterfall is an uphill ride through some pretty unforgiving Congo jungle in the wet season. On a positive note, the return trip was going to be downhill and boy, were some of those slopes steep.

It was an excellent ride, sure, it was hard but you never remember the easy trips, there is no challenge in that. Ok, it is true I got a little banged up on the trip home, yes, it could have gone a little better, this was a life experience I won't forget and I wouldn't change anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment