Pages

Tuesday 30 June 2020

Two Omega for one Rolex

There are generally two camps within watch collecting circles, the Rolex camp and the Omega camp. I sit within the Omega camp but that doesn't mean I don't respect the Rolex product, I just prefer Omega over Rolex.
This also comes down to personal finances, I am the owner of three Omega timepieces; however, one of those was given to me. So, really I purchased two Omega timepieces and I made sure I did so at the low point of Swiss watch sales.

I purchased a Seamaster and a Speedmaster from the same duty free shop at Perth International Airport. What I didn't know then was that they were getting out of luxury watch sales, the watch shop is no longer operational so they were selling off inventory in anticipation of closing.

I did not know this, I would like to take credit for some pretty decent negotiating but this would be a stretch. So now I am in possession of a Seamaster Diver 300 reference 212.30.41.29.03.001 and a Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch reference 311.30.42.30.01.005 and I couldn't be happier.

I have two iconic Omega timepieces for the price of a single Rolex and I am pretty happy with that. Whilst it is argued Rolex retains resale value, that is correct, I am not looking to sell either timepiece so for me is is not a purchase strategy - I just like these two iconic timepieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment