Pages

Thursday 5 December 2019

Shay's Flat Vineyard 2012 shiraz

I'm a member of a wine club, it really isn't a club but a wine selling business. For me, the benefit of their sales expertise is the opportunity to be introduced to wines I am not familiar with. I am fortunate to live in Western Australia where we have world class wineries, new world wines and restaurants.


I was fortunate to be offered a carton of 2012 Shays Flat Winery shiraz, this is a wine I wouldn't normally purchase without a tasting. Until I became involved in this wine group, I had pretty much avoided Victorian wine, I am happy to be converted. This shiraz is deep red, this will stain anything it comes into contact with including tablecloths, shirts and trousers - I need to be a little more careful than normal.

Lovely cedary oak textures are exhibited, French oak flavours are displayed after 12 months maturation in French oak with blackberry and cigar box later in the palette. Apparently, a small volume of the wine is matured in stainless steel vats to preserve a degree of freshness. The tannins are not overwhelming but has enough legs to allow a fairly decent cellaring, for me, I was enjoying this wine relatively young.

No comments:

Post a Comment