Pages

Saturday 28 December 2019

Bringing my mountain bike back into Australia

As we prepare for landing, I think about my next set of problems. That is, bringing my mountain bike back into Australia.


I spent hours cleaning that bike, first there was a preliminary wash with water to get it half clean. Next I rode from my room to the house of the Field Maintenance Superintendent for the next cleaning cycle, that was running water and a brush of the bike assembled. That took a few hours to do, I think about four hours.

Then the wheels were removed and more washing took place, still with the hose, brush and paper towels. Then I started packing the bike up, handlebars off and the bike was dried and packed in the travel bag.

The next weekend the bike was pulled out of the bag and another cleaning took place with paper towels and spray. I started with CO spray and then onto a water dispersal fluid, that took another four to five hours and the bike was repacked into the bag.

So after those hours spent cleaning the bike, what was quarantine going to say? I’m pretty sure they are going to inspect the bike, it is clear they don't want soil brought into Australia. We have strict bio-security rules for a reason and I’m doing my best to comply with those rules.

I can't say I’m nervous, I’m not trying to hide anything so the question is now, how long am I going to be held up with inspections and how much is this going to cost me? I guess they will require further inspections, cleaning and possibly treatment. I am going to find out pretty soon I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment