Pages

Thursday 19 December 2019

Diving the Suunto D4 dive computer

I was going through old inventory at the dive shop and I found an older style and now outdated Suunto D4 dive computer. Any excuse for a dive right?


The Suunto RGBM algorithm is fairly good option for a first dive, you have fairly long no-decompression limits to actually enjoy your dive. I reckon when undertaking multiple dive days, any dive computer except for a Suunto is a good choice. 

While these are compact wrist mounted computers, the limits they place on on divers for repetitive dives means they severely limit your options for what you are able to do. I am not a huge fan of the RGBM algorithm but I do understand the importance of conservatism. 

What really annoys me is every other diver in your group can dive the profile you are unable to do and ascend safely - I have missed eagle rays, large mackerel and manta rays because of sitting in the shallows because of the ultra-conservatism of Suunto - never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment