Pages

Saturday 27 October 2018

The KFC fake chicken hoax

I don't recall the first time I saw the KFC fake chicken hoax appear on social media, I guess it was about seven or eight years ago and I see this is still doing the rounds. I can't say I'm a fan of KFC, what I don't like is people pushing fake rumours that hurt not only KFC but also their suppliers and employees.


In Australia at least, KFC is supplied by both Steggles and Ingham, I am also informed Turi Foods also supplies chickens as well but I know less about this company. As Australians know, you purchase both Steggles and Ingham from the supermarket so one could argue you are getting the same chickens as the supermarkets.

I didn't know too much about Turi Foods so checking out their website I see they make a commitment to no steroids or hormones and also pledge to monitor suppliers for GM free products in their cereals and grains fed to the birds. Their chicken food includes wheat, barley, oats, sorghum and soy protein so one would believe the birds are reasonably fed and not the beakless and featherless mutants force fed nutrients via tubes the internet sharing community would have us believe.

They did get in trouble from the ACCC, that's the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission as their suppliers claimed they were offering free range chickens to KFC where chickens are free to roam. The chickens were free to roam within the confines of a large air-conditioned barn with access to clean water and food but fell short of the definition required.

We all know Kentucky Fried Chicken changed their name to the abbreviated KFC, we all thought it was in response to health concerns with deep fried foods. This may be true but is also related to a strategic move to change their menu to offer more than purely chicken. Clearly they wanted to remove the term fried from their name, that is understandable and while I can't say I'm a fan of their product, I can see why they want to expand and differentiate their product in a tight market.

No comments:

Post a Comment