Pages

Saturday 20 October 2018

A meth whore

I am recounting a story told to me by an acquaintance from the high school we both attended, I had spent some time with her post high school. As she was a couple of years younger than me at high school; I can't ever recall knowing her at school but apparently she knew of me. I was pretty much biding my time at high school and wasn't interested in the social aspects of the education system and I met her a number of years after leaving school.


We went to a pretty low grade high school, we lived in an area that would be considered low socio-economic, in other words, we were poor. She left school early, never had a job, her boyfriend hadn't worked either and they had their second child before age twenty one, they had both spent their entire post high school on welfare. She was on a sole parent benefit and he was on unemployment benefits although he was also part time in the army reserve. The army reserve hadn't hardened him up, he was like a big kid and he would burst into tears like a five year old.

Despite their economic situation, they were lousy parents and I would be loathe to blame their parenting skills on their financial status, we all know rich families can also have poor parents. Unfortunately, this is pretty indicative of of the area I grew up in and hence the reason why I moved away as soon as I completed my apprenticeship. There was plenty of social issues in this area, they were not the only ones with issues but their issues were remarkable for their depravity.

That being said, I had spent some time with her and it was clear she was a poor parent as her former boyfriend would come around to fight on pretty much a daily basis. The mother of the boyfriend would also come around and they would have a punch-up on the kerb outside her house. There would be screaming, swearing, pulling hair and punches thrown, the mother of the boyfriend used gutter language pretty much all the time. The mother of the boyfriend was a nasty woman, it is no coincidence that he was a loser.

He went to the same high school as well but I never knew of him either, but once again he knew of me. Apparently he had been picked on at high school, although it was not unlikely he was bullied, he wasn't smart, acted like a fool and he was soft. He had hooked up with her and all they did was fight, she had lost custody of her oldest child as she was charged with child abuse after breaking his arm during a fight with her boyfriend.

The daughter was the one I knew, she was a fantastic child and had so much potential but unfortunately her family circumstances would ultimately be her downfall. Her brother introduced her to drugs and she immediately became addicted on crystal meth, her life spiraled downward after that. She was selling her family goods such as furniture to fund her habit and was kicked out of home. She had a child and I recall seeing her at a shopping centre pushing her young child around in a stroller, she had a nice lookng kid.

She was not communicating with her mother at this time and they were in a legal fight for her grandmother to take custody of the young child. The child was in and out of foster care as her mother was homeless, drug addicted and selling herself for drug money. Is the grandmother the best option? Well, my experiences dealing with her were less than positive, she had lost custody of the first child after she was charged with child abuse, the second child, her daughter was left in her care but she was obliged to receive weekly visits from the department of child protection to check on her parenting.

The third child was left with potential brain damage after a breathing issue required hospitalisation, instead of calling an ambulance. She called her boyfriend and they stopped on the way to have a fight on the side of the road delaying important emergency care. So she had lost custody of two of the three children and probably should have lost custody of the girl. Her family life was a shambles although I had lost contact with them at this time.

When Facebook took off, the mother sent me a friend request and I accepted. She had used a different surname than I knew her as and used her daughter's profile picture. At this time I was working part time in a dive centre and receiving daily friend requests from customers and staff of the dive centre so thought this was a dive shop request. I didn't delete her immediately as I had a fascination with this family, this is a sad story that I am a little embarrassed to want to follow.

I knew her parents kind of briefly, she was a troubled teenager and this followed through to to early 20s before I lost contact with her. She was well known to the local police and had made numerous reports to the police making outrageous claims against a number of people. She had been in counselling for pretty much all of her adult life but this hasn't helped her or her daughter.

The family cycle continues, it started with her parents and step parents, she was the worst of the worst and now her daughter is proudly selling her sexual services to support her drug habit whilst a custody battle rages for her daughter. I just hope the daughter breaks the cycle that this family has brought upon itself.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, good read. Interesting to understand the dynamic between two people with completely two different socioeconomic backgrounds. Sounds like a great love affair, with either the story or with said main character. Never the less, very impressive. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete