Pages

Tuesday 19 June 2018

The Rolex Sky Dweller

Undoubtedly the most complex movement in the Rolex range, the Sky Dweller maintains the classical Rolex traits of the in-house movement, fluted bezel and oyster case that I consider almost unusual for a timepiece released in 2012.


Whilst not my first choice as a timepiece, I appreciate the complexity of the engineering built into the Sky Dweller movement but sometimes feel this is an upgraded DateJust in regards to styling.

I have always thought the DateJust was an old man's watch with the Sky Dweller adapting the fluted bezel; to my way of thinking, this is an old outdated style. This timepiece firmly targets the global executive working across time zones with the red pointer aligned to home time.

Naturally, what sets Rolex apart from competitors is the classical style that doesn't change with trends; hence, Rolex never goes out of style. Still, this isn't a style I lend myself to.

Yet I understand and appreciate there are many who do so I question my own opinions of style. The 9001 movement is the most complex in the Rolex range with 40 jewels to achieve dual time zones indicated on the centre hour and a power reserve of 72 hours.

The 42 mm oyster case is water resistant to 100 metres with a stainless steel, white gold, yellow gold and Ever Rose gold as case materials. As soon as the term global executive is bandied around one can expect steep price.

This timepiece could be costing anywhere from $21,000 AUD to $61,000 AUD depending on the precious metal construction of the case - that's some serious coin.

No comments:

Post a Comment