Pages

Thursday 14 June 2018

Ring your f___ing bell

Bicycle riders are gaining a poor reputation in Perth, a cyclist after riding through a red traffic light struck a pedestrian causing her significant injuries including traumatic head damage. She had to learn to talk, walk and eat again; this was a life threatening injury that will change her life.


The incident once again sparked public debate over licencing and registration of cyclists using both roads and dual use pathways. I think it is fair that cyclists carry mandatory insurance so that pedestrians who are injured are not left financially crippled, motor vehicles are required to carry mandatory insurance so why not bicycles? Cyclists struck by motor vehicles are covered by the mandatory third party insurance carried by that vehicle.

I am a runner, well more of a jogger these days and like to run on dual purpose pathways that do not have dedicated bike lanes. We have these cyclists roaring past runners doing around 40 kph. I have had two just brush me and the potential for serious injury is very real. Vehicle drivers now have to keep a metre between the vehicle and the cyclist, why shouldn't riders keep a metre distance from pedestrians?

I really like the oldies out on their bikes getting exercise, they are courteous, ride at an acceptable speed and always ring their bells when overtaking. When I hear their bell ring, I always move over and acknowledge their signal with a wave as I want to be as courteous to them as they are to me. Now the Department of Transport is erecting speed signs, speed humps and other signage on dual use paths to prevent cyclists from gaining the same reputation as cyclists on the roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment