Pages

Tuesday 26 June 2018

Shabooh Shoobah

It's an old album and I still love throwing it on, I really got into INXS when The Swing album came out in 1984 so I went back and listened to the earlier album that really gained them plenty of attention a couple of years earlier.


I knew their music, I started high school in 1982 and as a teenager really started to listen to the up and coming bands. My friends hated this music, INXS very pretty alternative at this point and not their scene. INXS were building a small but loyal following over in Sydney yet my friends would constantly ask me "why do you listen to this shit?"

We had heard that the Farriss brothers started off playing in Perth and Michael Hutchence had joined them around that time too. I was way too young to go out to any of the bars in Perth. That was pretty clear so I never got the opportunity to see them play live until later in the decade. This was when Kick was released and I was old enough to gain entry into pubs and clubs. 

The album kicked off with The One Thing, this was an upbeat and slightly unusual song, I liked it. With Black and White leading the second side album, the tempo was great. Old World New World holds plenty of charm for me, the B side is where the album really shined. Don't Change was pretty big, what a way to end this album, starting pretty slow before the guitar kicks in and fires up and then the whole band joins in - that's the song that gets cranked up loud.

To this day I still don't know what Shabooh Shoobah actually means, I don't care as this doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the album. I have it on CD now and still love loading it into the slot of the CD player in my car, stuck in traffic - who cares? I'm enjoying my time and no amount of traffic will wreck that. Now my teenage nephew is really into Shabooh Shoobah, he might be young but this album still holds up well, it's not just the old guys who like it.   

Side A
1. The One Thing
2. To Look At You
3. Spy Of Love
4. Soul Mistake
5. Here Comes

Side B
1. Black And White
2. Golden Playpen
3. Jan's Song
4. Old World New World
5. Don't Change

No comments:

Post a Comment