Pages

Saturday 28 May 2016

The Big Short

I hardly go to the movies anymore despite wanting to view The Big Short and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. My second choice was much to my embarrassment but I wanted to see what the big deal was about anyway even if I am not a sci-fi geek.


It never happened but I wasn't perturbed as I knew I was flying Singapore Airlines in late April and could more than likely view the movie on the inflight entertainment system.

When Wall Street II: Money Never Sleeps was released, I immediately dragged my arse down the local cinema for a late night screening. I was not willing to wait a while to watch this excellent depiction of the GFC sub-prime crisis and resulting aftermath as Michael Douglas once again played Gordon Gekko brilliantly.

We already knew Ryan Gosling was an excellent dramatic actor, likewise Brad Pitt is well renowned but the real smokey is Steve Carell. A comedy actor owning a dramatic role in much the same way Robin Williams transitioned from Mork from Ork to Good Will Hunting is playing out before us. 

Carell plays a burnt out fund manager who through experience has observed a huge lie perpetuated by the banks and financial institutions. Lacking fundamental teamwork and communication skills, he attempts to reason with people who have no interest in putting an end to the greed.

Ironically when the collapse eventuated in late 2007, I was in the Philippines and instead of going diving that day I stayed glued to my hotel television screen watching Bloomberg and contemplating my next move. 

I still recall an industry expert telling me by 2010 this will all be a bad memory. Even as this event unfolded the financial experts grossly underestimated the extent of this financial disaster that ruined the retirements of so many innocent people across the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment