Pages

Tuesday 24 May 2016

Clairault

The 2010 Clairault Margaret River cabernet sauvignon is not my choice of an outstanding expression of a varietal wine-making from this tremendously important wine region. According to my drinking partner, she detects hints of spice - me, I don't see that at all. She asked my opinion and I immediately shot back "lacks fruit, no wood"; I find it very non-descriptive actually.

I'm somewhat disappointed actually, at $22 a bottle at airport duty free, I expected a whole lot more. Describing the flavours, I expected a 2010 to be a whole lot more developed, much smoother and finely structured. I struggled to identify a distinctive flavour, a sour note in the aftertaste was all I could find, not much tannin or acid to hold it together. This wine has no legs and I wouldn't be laying this wine down for more than 30 minutes. I decided to let it sit for about 4 hours and see if it develops further. The unfortunate answer is a resounding no.

No comments:

Post a Comment